The purpose of a health education program is to help individuals to make intelligent decisions and to behave accordingly with regard to their own health. There are a number of different types of health education programs run in all different types of communities and all around the world.
Fiscal Health Education Programs
These are programs which help local council or state governments examine their financial condition. Local officials become actively involved in putting together the project, gathering data and interpreting the results. They decide how to implement strategies based on the results.
Local officials face numerous challenges as they prepare budgets and set short-term and long-term goals and priorities. Demand for services continues to grow, while revenues are being affected by policies of other governments. A fiscal health education program offers a practical way to help local governments sort through their needs and capacities.
This program works by using up to three sets of tools to measure the fiscal health which can be applied to cities or counties. To begin the process, the locally-elected body appoints an advisory fiscal health task force or committee. Workshop participants are given materials for gathering and organising public financial data. The task force then works with the project team to set their agenda and collect the necessary data. The project team analyses the data and reports its findings and recommendations back to the local task force. The process takes about six to nine months.
Making money for your club or organisation is an important part of being a member. But unfortunately a large number of fundraising efforts are unhealthy. We see regular sausage sizzles, selling chocolates, and movie nights, that promote bad diet and sedentary behaviour!
Ideas For Fundraising shows that it CAN be successful using a healthy approach, and promotes raising money through spreading awarness and embracing healthy products and practices. Ex Melbourne Tiger basketballers Blair Smith and Elliot Dean can help your club make money with no financial investment, no recruiting volunteers to do hard work, and improve the health of your members and others in your circle.
Health and sexuality go hand in hand and appropriate education on the relevant issues are paramount. Things such as gender equality, reproduction, sexually transmitted infections, and exploring sexuality are all important when it comes to sexual health. Discussing sex is still seen by many as taboo, which it should not. The same goes for adult toys. Lifestyle products should be encouraged as they give people a chance to explore their sexuality safely, discreetly and without the chance of health problems.
Owning a pet is very rewarding but can also be a big responsibility. Maintaining the health of your animal is paramount and having a good vet to perform regular checkups is a must. If you have important business trips and will be away for a period of time, consider putting your pet into a cat or dog boarding facility. The cattery in Templestowe is a reputable off-shoot of the vet clinic and gives all animals a safe and friendly home while you’re away. Make sure your pets health is in good hands.
Kids Health And Fitness
The most important lessons about good health are learned in the home. So it’s important for parents to teach their kids about being active and eating healthy. Setting a good example is crucial- seeing parents lazing around can influence the children into sedentary behaviour.
Making things fun for kids can be the best way to help them partake in exercise. One such idea is zumba, which is the latest dance craze. It is high energy and lots of fun, meaning it will burn calories and give the children enjoyment. As far as kids activities in Sydney go, this should be high on the list.
Health of Babies
The health and development of young children is very important but it is even more crucial when it comes to babies. Lots of changes occur in the first year of life, and parents need to be educated on the best way to go about things.
Baby clothing can be of varying quality and many cheaper items may contain harmful chemicals that can result in irritations and even more longer term health issues. Organic cotton is a great material to use for infants, baby clothes, bibs and eco toys.
Techniques such as breastfeeding, settling techniques and bottle feeding are all skills that require knowledge and practice. Utilising a mothercraft nurse to help educate and support you can be a worthwhile investment, giving assistance in those tough early stages.
Mental Health Education Programs
The implications of mental health issues and mental illness are far reaching and devastating, affecting so many young people regardless of the school they attend, the job they have or the friends they socialise with.
Nationwide, the statistics are damning, and are a reminder of the ever present and constant battle of young Australians with mental health issues and mental illness. The following statistics are a snapshot of the very real situation that we as Australians and Territorians find ourselves facing in the health of young people:
• Three million Australians will experience a major depressive illness
• 5% of Australians experience anxiety so crippling that it affects every aspect of their lives
• 3% of Australians are affected by psychotic illness such as schizophrenia and bipolar mood disorder where there is a loss of contact with reality during episodes of illness
• Depression is one of the most common conditions in young people and increases during adolescence
• Prevalence of mental illness is greatest among 18-24 year olds (27%)
• According to research, approximately 14% of 12-17 year olds and 27% of 18 to 25 year olds experience mental health problems or issues each year
• 75% of mental health problems among adults commence before the age of 25 years
• Up to 50% of substance use problems are preceded by mental health problems in youth
• High suicide rates in early to mid adulthood typically follow on from untreated mental health problems in the late teenage and early adult years
• Overall, mental health and substance use disorders account for 60-70% of the burden of disease among 15-24 year olds
• Currently only one in four young people experiencing mental health problems actually receives professional help. Even among young people with the most severe mental health problems only 50% receive professional help
• Without access to appropriate treatment, many young people drop out of school or work, or present in repeated crisis to already over-stretched hospital emergency departments, suffering the effects of self-harm, or substance intoxication
While there are numerous counsellors and other professionals who are readily available to assist in the treatment of young people suffering from mental health issues, the problem is that many young people do not know where such services are or how to access them; can not afford them; or are too embarrassed to use them. Interviewing effected people and gathering responses from various methods can be used to analyse the accessibility and effectiveness of mental health education and awareness amongst young people, and to make recommendations on how such education practices can be improved.